Caught in Traffick

Freya Barrington's previous book, 'Known to Social Services', gave us a frighteningly realistic insight into the harrowing world of the child protection social worker. Based on her own experiences, the book was a revelation and occupied the number one spot for social work books on Amazon UK within weeks of release and went on to win the autobiography/biography/memoir section of the 2015 London Book Festival and received an Honourable Mention at the 2016 Paris Book Festival.

Freya’s latest novel, 'Caught in Traffick' is the sequel to 'Known to Social Services', and continues the story of social worker Diane Foster. Set mainly in Thailand; Diane and her partner Ethan are on a working holiday, blissfully unaware of the dangers lurking against the beautiful backdrop of white beaches and glorious monuments. When four-year-old Darcie Taylor is abducted from a crowded beach, Diane and Ethan find themselves sucked into the horrifying world of child trafficking. When Darcie’s abduction is followed closely by the kidnap of another child, there can be no doubt that a well co-ordinated gang is operating in the area. A chance meeting with the Director of Social Services Nicholas Bishop leads to a shocking revelation about the man who is still Diane’s most senior manager. Together, they become embroiled in a dangerous web of subterfuge and corruption, where organised crime syndicates and depraved sex offenders engage in a desperate battle of wits against those dedicated to their downfall. Trapped within this labyrinth of immorality are the children, who are sacrificed on the altar of greed and perversion for financial gain. With the gang’s tentacles reaching across to England, Diane is shocked to find herself faced with some old adversaries. With gripping twists and turns, hair-raising rescue attempts and heart breaking tragedies which leave you in despair; 'Caught in Traffick' will open your eyes to the disturbing underground world of child trafficking.


Caught in Traffick was awarded an Honorable Mention in the General Fiction Section of the 2016 London Book Festival.

Please do visit and like Freya’s author pages on Facebook, Google+ Goodreads. Thank you.

My Latest Novel

My Latest Novel
MY LATEST NOVEL

Tuesday 23 June 2015

NEW book, ..... Gozo; Is the Grass Greener? ...... coming soon.

I am sat outside reading my book, when I pause and just listen. There is a peace I have not known for several years.  All I can hear in the warm Midi-Pyrenean sunshine is the drowsy buzzing of the ever-industrious bees, and the song of a bird, as yet unidentified. Blossoms drift by me like snowflakes, landing softly as if to remind me of their gentleness in passing. Not since I lived in the Derbyshire Peak District, have I felt such an affinity with nature and the countryside and I close my eyes and appreciate it, drinking it in like a fine wine.






The view from the top of our drive






Overhead a buzzard soars lazily on the hot currents of air, which dispense with any need for him to flap his wings. A flash of blue, betrays the jay, which lands in the cherry tree across the lane and begins to pick off the ripening fruit, before anyone else has a chance to taste it. There is a surprise visit from a normally nocturnal bat, flitting uncharacteristically in and out of the garage in broad daylight. I duck instinctively as he flies noiselessly past me; I would not react well were he to become entangled in my hair!




Sat on the stoop in France in my turn up jeans, which for some reason, Steve finds amusing!










You may be aware that up until May 2015, Steve and I lived on the beautiful Mediterranean island of Gozo, which is part of the Maltese archipelago. We lived here for more than four happy years and made many lifelong friends there. Our decision to leave Gozo was not taken lightly and when the day of our departure finally arrived, I found myself wanting to cling to the familiarity of it; to change my mind and stay. However, we knew that there were new adventures awaiting us, and so with heavy hearts, we said our goodbyes. We were leaving all the richer, with a store of wonderful memories embedded in our souls. Many of our dear friends came to the Gozo ferry to wave us off, or to make the 25 minute journey to Malta with us one last time. Unsurprisingly, there were copious tears and great sadness mixed with the joy we had known in living here. 



It was not easy leaving this behind - me in Gozo








Steve and I are now living about an hour North of Toulouse, nestled in a tiny hamlet between the towns of Moissac and Valence D’Agen. We have come here with a dual purpose; several months ago, I responded to a request for support via a housesitting website. Help was needed with six horses, and also with DIY around the place. With my background of equestrianism, and Steve’s unarguable skill with all things practical, it seemed ideal. As a bonus, there are three lovely dogs and a handful of chickens! Our new friends, Polly and Howard are a British couple who have embraced the French way of life here for over 20 years. We are delighted to be here in such a mutually beneficially exchange.  Polly is a supplier of the super comfortable “Trekker” saddles and Howard is in demand as a bare foot horse trimmer.



Me riding "Bear" in a fabulous Trekker Saddle













Steve's DIY project, or should I say life's work! Converting the barn







Steve and I have our own delightful little cottage, which will serve us well as a base, from which to explore France, and also to fulfil the second part of our reason for being here, which is to write.


Our lovely cottage



Overlooking the river in Auvillar









And of course, there is always time for coffee 











Life has been somewhat of a whirlwind since my debut novel, Known to Social Services, was released in February this year. The book became the number one social work book on Amazon UK within two days of its release and the publishers, Faraxa Books, and I worked hard on promoting it; organising book signings, radio interviews, visits to UK Universities and more. It has been and continues to be, an exciting time and I remain grateful to all our friends and family who have been so encouraging and supportive. However, as any author will tell you, more books need to follow, and so to France.


My successful debut novel, Known to Social Services, published by Faraxa Books












We now feel in the ideal place for me to continue writing the sequel to Known to Social Services, which, I am very happy to report, is being requested regularly. I know I shall have to be very self-disciplined in working on the sequel, as it would be too easy to settle into this laid back lifestyle, and do nothing more than ride the horses, fuss the dogs and eat baguettes with good French cheese!



This is Grolsch, our regular house guest ..... nothing to do with the food of course









Steve searching for his lost euro in Lauzerte











GREAT NEWS .... NEW BOOK
However, the great news is, that before I can settle down to work in earnest on my sequel, I have another book of a different kind, due for release in July 2015. When Steve and I moved to Gozo from the UK, I recorded our exploits as a blog. After receiving great encouragement from people all around the world who had read it, I decided to shape it into a book.  As with my debut novel, I had the support of Faraxa Books in publishing the work. You will be able to read all about our reasons for leaving the UK and discover why we chose Gozo – which if I’m totally honest, I lived in ignorance of, prior to 2008.




Beautiful Gozo








The book is entitled, Gozo; Is the Grass Greener?

The book asks the question, “Is the Grass Greener?” not only in relation to our move to another country, but also in our relationship with each other. Steve and I have both been married before and I take time to reflect on this, and on how we met, within the narrative. For dog lovers, there are many anecdotes in regard to our 2 wonderful and now sadly missed lurchers, Ollie and Ralph. Add to this, may tales of our lives in Gozo, and you have a book which I am confident will have wide appeal for many people. I have aimed to strike a balance between what I hope is some, laugh out loud humour, and more sombre stories – and I warn you ……. you may need your hankie for one or two of them!




Our lovely lurchers, Ollie and Ralph







I am very pleased to report that the talented Michael Martin illustrated the book cover. Working from an abstract idea, which I had in mind, Michael has captured exactly the scenario I envisioned for the book cover, and I cannot wait to unveil it J Michael is currently, the illustrator of Alex Graham’s Fred Basset cartoons, which I read avidly as a child.

I will, of course, continue to promote Known to Social Services, and I am delighted to report that on a recent visit to a lovely couple who had some items of interest for sale, I was able to sign the lady’s newly purchased copy of Known to Social Services. The first signed copy in France to my knowledge!



In the beautiful sunshine of France with Hazel and her signed copy of Known to Social Services.







Gozo; Is the Grass Greener? Will be available in July 2015 and is published by Faraxa Books.


Freya

No comments:

Post a Comment