Caught in Traffick

Freya Barrington's previous book, 'Known to Social Services', gave us a frighteningly realistic insight into the harrowing world of the child protection social worker. Based on her own experiences, the book was a revelation and occupied the number one spot for social work books on Amazon UK within weeks of release and went on to win the autobiography/biography/memoir section of the 2015 London Book Festival and received an Honourable Mention at the 2016 Paris Book Festival.

Freya’s latest novel, 'Caught in Traffick' is the sequel to 'Known to Social Services', and continues the story of social worker Diane Foster. Set mainly in Thailand; Diane and her partner Ethan are on a working holiday, blissfully unaware of the dangers lurking against the beautiful backdrop of white beaches and glorious monuments. When four-year-old Darcie Taylor is abducted from a crowded beach, Diane and Ethan find themselves sucked into the horrifying world of child trafficking. When Darcie’s abduction is followed closely by the kidnap of another child, there can be no doubt that a well co-ordinated gang is operating in the area. A chance meeting with the Director of Social Services Nicholas Bishop leads to a shocking revelation about the man who is still Diane’s most senior manager. Together, they become embroiled in a dangerous web of subterfuge and corruption, where organised crime syndicates and depraved sex offenders engage in a desperate battle of wits against those dedicated to their downfall. Trapped within this labyrinth of immorality are the children, who are sacrificed on the altar of greed and perversion for financial gain. With the gang’s tentacles reaching across to England, Diane is shocked to find herself faced with some old adversaries. With gripping twists and turns, hair-raising rescue attempts and heart breaking tragedies which leave you in despair; 'Caught in Traffick' will open your eyes to the disturbing underground world of child trafficking.


Caught in Traffick was awarded an Honorable Mention in the General Fiction Section of the 2016 London Book Festival.

Please do visit and like Freya’s author pages on Facebook, Google+ Goodreads. Thank you.

My Latest Novel

My Latest Novel
MY LATEST NOVEL

Friday 12 December 2014

Chapter One


So, this is it; I'm about to be a published author! A dream come true? Most certainly. Exciting? Absolutely. Unbelievable? You bet!  

There are literally thousands of people who dream of writing a book and having the thrill of seeing it in print. However, I seem to recall someone telling me that less than 1% of people who want to write a book, actually do so. It would seem therefore that I am in the minority.  

I have been asked what inspired me to write. As a child, I was an avid reader, spending all my weekly pocket money on paperback books. Like many of my pre Harry Potter generation, I grew up on Enid Blyton’s Secret 7, rather fancying myself to be the tom boyish George, whose real name of course was Georgina. I delighted in the antics of Darren and her boarding school chums at Mallory Towers and lost myself in The Chronicles of Narnia, and The Hobbit. At grammar school, I developed a love of poetry, and more serious books such as Lord of the Flies. I recall my first “grown up” book was a Wilbur Smith novel, which I read in its entirety in a horsebox on the way to Perth Races in the days when I worked as a groom! I enjoy Phillipa Gregory, George RR Martin, Arundhati Roy, Dan Brown, Khaled Hosseini and James Morgan Ayres to name but a few, though I am equally at home with the classics of Bronte Austen and Dickens.

The idea to write a book of my own began after a particularly challenging day at work. I came home tired and exasperated and uttered the phrase that so many of you will relate to, and may even have said yourselves,.........  "I could write a book you know".  

However, whilst the idea of writing a book was appealing, finding the time to undertake such a task was quite a different matter.  When I actually sat down and stared at that laptop screen, I suddenly found I had so many other demands on my time; so many things, which required my attention, and which distracted me from the actual task of writing. There was all that dust forming on top of the coffee table for a start, not to mention the fluffy bits on the rugs, which needed hoovering. You understand what I mean right? I think it’s known as a dissociative task, or in plain English, an excuse.

After putting it off for too long, I finally made the decision to take a year off work to write. I am fortunate in that I live on the lovely and peaceful island of Gozo, where life moves at a slower pace. I am equally fortunate in having a husband who is 100% supportive and encouraging.

And so it began; the long endless nights, where caffeine became my new best friend, and I became somewhat of a social outcast, as I had to make my apologies to friends, “I’m so sorry, I can’t come for lunch, dinner, a drink, as I have to write”. However, their support and understanding was amazing, as is their continued encouragement to write.

After endless drafts and rewrites, the book was ready, and with a huge amount of trepidation, I began sending it for consideration to publishers and agents. I felt an unexpected sense of possessiveness as I sent off my precious manuscript. After all, it had been my whole world for the past year and I was understandably protective of it. Finally, I got the e-mail, which all authors long for, the fantastic news telling me that my book was to be published. I was quite literally speechless with delight.

I am indebted to Faraxa Publishers in Malta for affording me the opportunity to realise my dream and see my work in print. For a full list of their available work and other related information, please visit www.faraxabooks.com


Known to Social Services will be available in early 2015. 

4 comments:

  1. The writing certainly flows - may it form a river and the river a tidal wave of creativity. Very best wishes, Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks Rob for your kind and encouraging comment - all the best, Freya

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pleased for you that all your hard work has paid off, you deserve it. You have a flair for writing and it is your determination and focus that has helped you to succeed whilst there is so much going on in your life too. Congratulations and may you have all the success in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many thanks for this Neil; positive feedback is always most welcome

    ReplyDelete